What causes pain in arms and tingling fingers during panic attacks?

Psychiatrist
Question
Yesterday i wake up suddenly as i though that some one is attacking our home . I was very frighten & scare to death , but i felt a pain in my left arm then in my right arm & tingling fingers for a minutes then when i calmed down i feel normal . I am a little bit over weight i did a cardio tests since about 8 months (Stress test , EKG & echocardiogram 58% EF ) and all was good thanks God .
Is it normal to feel this when fear ? Do adrenalin can cause this feeling ?

Thanks
Posted Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Sunil Gupta 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your symptoms can occur due to fear/anxiety.

Detailed Answer:

I went through your query and can understand your concerns regarding your symptoms.

Anxiety often manifests in form of the symptoms that you have mentioned. Your thoughts regarding your home being attacked made you anxious which resulted in activation of the sympathetic nervous system and in turn, adrenaline. This leads to the physiological effects of tingling sensations and pain.

In addition, other symptoms that can occur due to anxiety include chest pain, palpitations (increased heart rate), choking sensation, sweating, tremors, epigastric distress and so on.

In you case, your cardiac status has already been evaluated and found to be normal. So, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

If this was an one-off incident, you should relax. However, if such symptoms has occurred even prior to this, you can consider getting evaluated for anxiety. You should consult a psychiatrist for the same and initiate treatment if required.

I do hope that I was able to answer your query. Please let me know if you have any further questions. I will be glad to help.

Best wishes,

Dr. Sunil Gupta