What causes pain around the tip of the hip bone?

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 19 Jul 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Having pain on my right side below the tip of hip bone. Sitting am fine. I stand and pain increases.
Started around 6 tonight. Getting gradually worse.
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ileotibial tendinitis / bursitis

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question.
I have gone through your medical history in detail.

Pain around or below the tip of hip bone usually occurs due to ileotibial band tendinitis.
In this condition,there is inflammation of the ileotibial tendon which passes very nearby the tip of hip bone.

While in sitting position,this inflammed tendon is in relaxed position and hence,does not cause pain. But once you stand,the inflammed tendon gets stretched and the pain gets aggravated.

Another reason for such kind of pain is an inflammed bursa around the hip bone.This bursa may case friction of the tendon and lead to pain.

I would suggest you to take rest,anti inflammatory tablets like ibuprofen,paracetamol,trypsin,chymotrypsin.Application of local analgesic ointment/sprays followed by hot fomentation will reduce the pain/inflammation to a considerable extent.

Avoid squatting,sitting cross legged or sitting for long periods of time.

If the pain does not subside within next 3 days,you should consult a doctor and get an Xray/MRI of the hip region done.

I hope the answer was useful.

Feel free to ask me any follow up queries that you may have.

Thank you.
Kind regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana