What causes pain and swelling on legs and knees?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 25 Jul 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am a 65 year old male. I was having pain in my lower right leg in Feb. Went to Dr. Ultrasound, and diagnosed w/ blood clot below my right knee. They put me on cumadin, and to stop taking it in May. Everything was fine, then three days ago, the pain started again. Today my leg and foot are swollen below my right knee. And the pain level is about a 5-6. Can I wait until Monday to go see my Dr.? I REALLY don't want to go to the emergency room.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need to go to ER.

Detailed Answer:
The acute pain and swelling that you are having can be due to a blood clot in your leg. It needs an emergency medical attention. You cannot afford to wait till Monday for your regular physician to see it.
It is best to attend an ER for an emergency care.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T