What causes pain after inguinal hernia repair?

Posted on Mon, 10 Nov 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I had open intalegial hernia repair with mesh 3 months ago. I'm Having pain around the surgical site after sitting for awhile. I have a high pain tolerance so it's not stopping me from working. I saw my gp and it's not a re herniated. The gp just gave me pain meds. I'm not to fond of pain killers so I'm not taking them except when I can't sleep. I see the surgeon in two weeks but I'm worried that the pain won't resolve. It caused me to just want to find a comfortable position and sleep when I can. Is there a better choice than taking the pain killers more frequently and how long should it take for the pain to go away.
Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
could be nerve entrapment

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,

Welcome to HealthcareMagic .

According to your history I feel you have nerve entrapment. Don't worry it is nothing but some minute nerves come in suturing or mesh and cause pain.

To confirm this you need to undergo physical examination by your surgeon. In this you will get pain in particular position and movement, try to avoid those.

If it is confirmed the treatment involves aceclofenac with serratiopeptidase with/without local injection of anesthetic agent or steroids in the wound site. This will release the nerves and pain reduce. Depends on severity .

Once this treatment is initiated it may take upto 2 weeks for pain to completely go off.

Hope I have answered your query. If any further queries are there I would love to help.

Dr.Deepika Patil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Deepika Patil

General Surgeon