What causes oral thrush, oral blister, swollen glands, tongue and sore throat?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Infections
Question: Symptoms are oral thrush, oral blisters, swollen glands, swollen tongue, swollen lips and face and sore throat. Tested for strep yesterday and came back negative. Worse today. Should I go to an emergency room?

Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need fro an ER visit at this time.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for this query.

I know you would have loved an immediate response but this is simply not possible at this time. Recovery from thrush is progressive and not instantaneous. The swollen glands and tongue as all as a result of this infection. With the sodium bicarbonate gargle solution, I will suggest that you apply it for a couple of days at least, 3-5days generally, before seeking further evaluation if you don’t still feel okay. Your diagnosis and treatment are appropriate and thus don’t need to rushed for failure.

I hope this helps clear some of your worries and wins some more time of you to observe. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.