• question-icon

What causes muscle pain in the thighs and hips?

Posted on Thu, 27 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My hips/thigh muscles ache at night while laying down, keeping me from sleeping. Gets better on each side if I roll to other side. No pain or issues while standing, walking or hiking etc?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to muscle spasm.

Detailed Answer:
The pain in thigh muscles at night can be due to muscle spasm.

Sometimes, it can be due to dehydration, muscle fatigue or electrolyte abnormalities. It is better to drink sufficient fluid and also see that your intake of electrolytes (sodium, potassium, magnesium ) is sufficient. You can drink Oralyte for this.
You should try local pain killer sprays. It does not seem much serious issue but pain should be controlled. There are good medicines which can be used for this purpose, your clinician would know a suitable match for you after examination
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon