What causes mucus build up in throat post smoking withdrawal?

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Diabetologist

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I quit smoking 3.5 months ago. It seems there is a build up of muccus that I clear out every couple of days that started a couple weeks after quitting....I hegh hegm them to clear but then my lungs are sore. Which I never coughed or had mucus before. They seem more sensitive to dust etc. as well. I have condo project that has dust etc so I put a mask on when I'm showing it (I'm a realtor). They're uncomfortable, some days they feel a bit better but mostly sore. Doc says the "sound" clear. It seems from comments that it's common but I didn't realize it lasts months. I started in my teens and am 41 now I smoked 5 and less a day. Any remedies helpful?
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Explained

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I am Dr Mittal.
I have read your message.
I think I can help you.
The symptoms of the query are due to the long standing smoking status.
The body starts making defensive lines to smoking.
It continues to make them when the smoking is withdrawn.
Therefore you are getting the system.
These symptoms last for 6 months to 9 months.
Thereafter they subside slowly.
I will therefore not suggest taking any medicines.
I'm my experience, most people feel better with just steam inhalation and warm saline gargles 4 times a day.
I therefore suggest the same to you.
I have tried to make it as simple as possible. I hope that the information contained in this message will be able to help you find the best solution for your problem. Best of luck. Dr Mittal.