What causes lighter shade skin in an infant after treating fungal infection?

Dr. Ilyas Patel

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 4 Jun 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello doc...my 7 month baby got fungal infection one month ago...for which doc gave nuforce gm and aqausoft cream to apply...now the red fungal patch have become smooth like other skin ....but the skin is lighter shade than her complexion...i want to know what it is? Is it scar? Or infection is still there?please advice
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Post inflammatory hypomelanosis

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HCM..

I read history and saw the photo you posted. It seems that in your 7 month old kid, the hypopigmented patch resulted after healing of fungal infection. It may be called post inflammatory hypomelanosis. It is not a scar. If perfect treatment for fungal infection is given to her,then no further treatment is required. Postinflammatory hypomelanosis does not require any treatment.Normal color might recover in few weeks. So, it is not a matter of worry.

I hope this would satisfy you.

Thanks.

Dr.Ilyas Patel MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Ilyas Patel 17 minutes later
Doctor do you think the treatment was right? Do fungal infection leavebsuch light colored patch?should i continue applying antifungal cream?
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
Post inflammatory hypomelanosis

Detailed Answer:

Welcome back..

The treatment of fungal infection was right ..so the lesion vanished.

Many times after healing the fungal lesions, there may be discoloration either hypomelanosis or hypermelanosis.

Now,there is no need to apply antifungal cream.

I hope this would satisfy you..ok

Thanks.

Dr.Ilyas Patel MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Follow up: Dr. Ilyas Patel 6 hours later
Sir what else I can apply as there is summer season..what kind of option I should apply so that I can prevent further anykind of fungal or bacterial infection...
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Post inflammatory hypomelanosis

Detailed Answer:

To prevent relapse of fungal infection I would like to suggest...

- improve immunity
- improve hygiene
- avoid wetness
- clean and dry the body properly after bath
- clothing of cotton clothes
- use of antiseptic like Dettol during bath
- sprinkle antifungal powder after bath on fold areas

I hope above tips may be helpful in preventing skin infection in your kid.

Thanks.

Dr.Ilyas Patel MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar