What causes lack of fetal movement during 21 weeks of pregnancy?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: hi I am in my 21st week of pregnancy and on prenatals drinking about 3 litres of water and around 1 to 2 litres of other fluid in a day and I'm still getting dark yellow and smelly urine what can be the reason?
also I'm on the heavier side and I haven't felt my baby move or not figured out what exactly was the baby movement yet is it fine?
also I'm having a weird feeling on the entry of my vagina what can be the reason?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs slight maneuvers, if still no kick then seek help

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. With yellowish smelly urine , probability of urinary tract infection can not be ruled out ands a urine examination to confirm the possibility.

Regarding the fetus movement absence at 21 weeks, its delayed and baby should be felt even in primigravida ( first pregnancy). You will need a baby monitoring ultrasound, his heart beats and well beings need to be assessed . Some times the baby moves inside the womb but feeling or kicking may not be there or mistaken with rumbling or fluttering feeling of the abdomen.

To help you to focus and count your baby's movements, lie on your left side with support under your bump. Stay still for a couple of hours, during which time you should feel at least 10 separate movements. Put your feet up, have a snack, and relax. Your baby may be rocked to sleep while you're moving around, in which case he may wake up when you stop and have something to eat.
Have a really cold drink. Your baby may feel the change in temperature and try to move away from it. A sugary cold drink may also give him a sugar boost to encourage movement.
Make some noise. Play loud music or slam a door to see if he responds.

If your baby starts to move around, all is probably well. But keep an eye on his movements from now on, and seek help sooner rather than later if you have any concerns.

Seek your doctor if You don't feel 10 or more separate movements while lying on your side for two hours.
Your baby doesn't start to move in response to noise or some other stimulus.
There's a big decrease in your baby's movements, or a gradual decrease over several days.

They will run some labs to make sure of your baby's well being like check his heart beat, assess him for growth as per age and rule out any intrauterine growth retardation. They will make sure baby is getting enough oxygen . They will measure the amount of fluid whether it is adequate or not.

I hope it helps. . Hope for the best and do as directed. Wait for a few hours and it still does not show better talk to your obstetrician as early as possible.

Take good care of yourself and your baby and don't forget to close the discussion please.

Khan