What causes itching and dark spots on the skin of legs, hands, face, and other body parts?

Dr. Kampana

Posted on Fri, 21 Sep 2018 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Hi,
My uncle is having allergies in the skin for past 15yrs - it is mostly on legs, hands, face though it is seen scattered across the body. The area affected appears dark & it itches often. Currently he is trying out acupuncture treatment for it. Skin cells shed during itching & it the dark spot appears again. He is born with only one kidney in the left & upon blood tests it is seen that he has grade-1 fatty liver & gastric problem. Also he is reducing around 300gms of weight a month & reduced 1.5 kgs in past 1.5 years due to this. Few doctors have mentioned the kidney, liver & digestion problem as the root cause but no medications worked.
Attached reports of blood test & full body check up. Kindly suggest what is the follow up for this & which specialist to see for treatment.

Thanks,
Nisha
Answered by Dr. Kampana 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Skin test for allergy.

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your query and reports. The reports are normal. It looks like a chronic skin allergy maybe due to food, dust, air etc.

Skin test for allergy can be done to know the allergen.

Meanwhile he can try tab. Allegra once a day. Capsain-P gel/ ointment can be applied for relief.

For a definitive diagnosis and treatment I would suggest a skin test.

I hope this answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Kampana , General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Kampana 3 hours later
Thanks for the reply, Is it not due to liver (or) kidney?
Answered by Dr. Kampana 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:

As LFT and RFT is normal.

Detailed Answer:

Hi again,

As the liver enzymes and kidney function test are normal it is unlikely. It is an allergy.

I hope this answered your query.