• question-icon

What causes irritation and pain at the site of suture on penis?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Penis Problems
Question: I recently had a penile biopsy right below the glands. This was to investigate a plaque deposit there. I also have inflammation of the gums. The dermatologist rendered a diagnosis of lichenoid dermatitis.

My question is with regards to the suture. In particular, I wake up every morning feeling well. As the day progresses, while sitting upright, walking, and moving around The glans and suture area gets progressively more irritated and painful during the day. The glands actually gets more whitish in color and becomes very sensitive. And the suture area also becomes very sensitive.

I did go back to the dermatologist to have the area check for infection. He didn't think there was no infection.

I have come to the theory that the sutures are rubbing throughout the day as that area moves, expands, and contracts, causing inflammation and pain. Do you think that theory holds water?

I am due to get the suture out next week.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As the area moves, the rubbing is responsible for this!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this pain that you have reported. Your hypothesis is true and mainly caused by rubbing between sutures and surrounding areas which leads to inflammation and pain. If you can limit the amount of movements, especially if possible, it would be of great help with the healing process as well. Yes, your theory holds water and am glad to hear the possibility of an infection has been ruled out already!

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be. Above all, thanks for using our services.
Dr. Chobufo Ditah