question-icon

What causes intermittent spasms in the abdomen?

Posted on Sat, 16 Jun 2018
Question: Intermittent "spasms" approx. 2 inches to the left of belly button. Becoming more regular. Duration 1 month or more. Can now actually visualize indentation and release that accompany "spasm"
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu (6 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Please follow...

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!

I read carefully all your concerns and I can say as follows:
1. You are reporting to "spasms" 2 inches to the left of belly button for 1 month.
These symptoms may be related with large bowel issues like IBS/ spastic large bowel/ rarely tumors.
2. If I were your treating doctor I would recommend to do
- colonoscopy to better evaluate large bowel mucosa.
3. Ultrasound is a good diagnostic test for parenchymal organ issues like liver , pancreas or gallbladder. It can not detect large bowel issues.
3. Meantime I would suggest liquid diet, avoid constipation and avoid unnecessary stress.
You can use antispasmodic drugs like butylscopolamine twice per day up to five days to release your symptoms.
Dr.Klerida

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist