• question-icon

What causes intermittent numbness and tingling on the right side of the body?

Posted on Fri, 30 Jun 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have intermittent numbness and tingling on the right side. It is mostly in my right arm but sometimes spreads to my face or down my leg.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Read below

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Any symptom involving the entire half of the body (face, upper and lower limb) does raise the possibility of a brain origin. By that I mean causes such as seizure, migrainous aura and less likely brain lesions in the setting of conditions like multiple sclerosis, stroke etc. However before you start to panic, in brain lesions it is rare for sensitive symptoms such as numbness and tingling to be isolated, usually are associated with other symptoms such as headache, vomiting, weakness of the limbs.
However it calls for a neurological exam to search for other possible neurological signs you might have missed and possibly MRI imaging to be scheduled if such signs are found.
One other possibility which should be considered if physical exam is normal is also that of anxiety which commonly manifests by such sensations. At your age with the hormonal changes related to menopause it is common for some anxiety issues to emerge and such tingling and numbness sensations to be reported. So would be a very likely hypothesis if no other signs and symptoms are present.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist