What causes insomnia during pregnancy?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 6 Jun 2018 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi Doc, I am a 27 year old female and am going to give birth to my 2nd child. My delivery date is 20th Feb 2018. From the last week I am unable to sleep. Around a week back I dreamt of my giving birth to a child and then myself surviving no more. After that I have dreamt of the same a couple of times more and am scared now. I am not able sleep properly from the last week and after lying at the bed during night I probably fall asleep around 3-4 AM in the morning. Can you please help me as I am not sure if this is normal?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Just relax and get regular check up.

Detailed Answer:
The inability to sleep during the pregnancy is mainly due to stress and anxiety. If you had a normal delivery during your first child then there are 80-90% chances of having a normal delivery again. If you are having a regular check up and ultrasound scans and no abnormality has been detected till date then there is no need to worry. You probably will have a normal delivery and a healthy baby.
Do start with some relaxation exercises like deep breathing and yoga. Sleeping after having a cup of hot milk will also help. In case the problem is persistent then you can ask your gynecologist to prescribe you a mild antianxiety drug which will help you to rest properly.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj