What causes high iron content in blood?
What is the normal iron level?
Information about elevated serum iron.
Hello and welcome,
An elevated iron level alone is hard to interpret. When a person has an elevated iron level in the blood, then other iron tests are needed to be able to put the result in context. So the next step would be to check
Total iron binding capacity
Here is a link to information of interpreting these tests, once you have them done:
Frequent consumption of alcohol, particularly wine, can cause a higher amount of iron in the blood.
Exposure to lead can also increase iron levels.
The normal range for serum iron is 50 - 176 micrograms per deciliter but this range may vary from one lab to the next.
I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Low iron high sugar causes
- Can nuvaring cause high iron
- What causes low iron
- Can high iron cause low testosterone
- Can solpadeine cause iron in the blood
- Does ambien cause high iron levels
- Iron supplements causing blood in stools
- What causes severe iron deficiency
- What is the cause of headaches with low iron
- Will low iron cause high glucose