What causes high BP?

Posted on Mon, 14 Jul 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi, would you please tell me why the lower number of blood pressure is more important than the top number?
Reason I asked is that I was at my regular physician today. My blood pressure was 142/91 and my pulse 88. Oxygen saturation level 96%.
He told me my blood pressure was up most likely due to the pain in my lower back, which he gave me muscle relaxants for. Which has helped greatly and of course as muscle relaxants do lowered my blood pressure. Now 8 hours after my doctor visit my blood pressure is 110/76 pulse 78.
My regular physician asked me to watch my blood pressure over the next few days and report to him what they are. And mentioned the bottom number is most important. But never really gave me an answer why.
Would you please tell me why the bottom number is most important?
Thank You, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
There is no scientific evidence!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

The systolic(upper) and diastolic (Lower) blood pressure are equally important. Though there is some information out there that suggests the diastolic value is more important in predicting adverse outcome in persons less than 40years, there are no well controlled scientific studies that confirm that.

I will not want to advance hypotheses that have no backing. It is not science, it is not medical and it is not the right thing to do without evidence. The standard of care does not attach more importance to the diastolic or the systolic value. Maybe your doctor has a personal experience with this, I will suggest you ask him when you next meet with him as this seem not to be a universal language of the medical community.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services and do feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.
Dr. Chobufo Ditah