What causes fluctuations in BP?

Posted on Mon, 13 Jun 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hello dr

The question is regards to my bp... My bp in home machine always in the average range of 125/82.. Some times(rarely) to the XXXXXXX 136/89, by supporting little above my lap..

When bp taken in doctors office ots always in the range of 145/96.. Is there anything wrong with my bp machine.. I feel nervous wen taking in doctors office.. Did white court hypertension can jump 25/15 points above the home level.. Please advice
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
monitor should be taken to office and readings compared

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

White coat hypertension can cause a significant change in blood pressure but if you wish to see if your machine and the office machine are comparable, you may want to consider taking it to your next visit.

Your blood pressure can be read on both machines, the readings would not be identical but they should be in the same range.
If there is a marked difference then it may mean that your machine is not working well.

If there are similar then it indicates that the readings at home are accurate.

If your readings at home also become significantly increased, then you may require treatment.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James