What causes fall of oxygen saturation at night?

Posted on Tue, 4 Nov 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: My Dad is 94 and uses oxygen. I checked while awake and it was 94. When he took a nap it dropped to 85. When he woke up it went back to 93. Is this normal?
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
if he is asymptomatic than it is normal.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear, thanks for your question on HCM. I want to know weight of your father?
And if he is asymptomatic at night time during fall of saturation than no need to worry. The reason for this is, there is certain amount of desaturation (fall on oxygen level) happens in night as body demand of oxygen is less and metabolic rate is minimal in night. So this much desaturation is accepted.
But if your father is obese and having symptoms like night time awakening, night time decreased sleep, night time gasping episodes, day time headache, un refreshing sleep etc than we have to investigate for obstructive sleep apneoa (OSA).
But in your case, your father is asymptotic so the fall in oxygen you noticed is nothing but physiological diurnal variation.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wishing good XXXXXXX to ypur father. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist