What causes excessive and stringy eye mucus with swelling around the eyes?

Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Mon, 6 Mar 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: hello Doctor,

my daughter is 4 years old.

from last 3 days, left eye of my daughter is sticking in morning. it also seems minor swelling in the eye. I was using ofloxacin eye drops (Oflokem) 3 times a day, but still no improvement. right eye is perfectly fine.

please suggest, what should I do.
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Conjunctivitis.

Detailed Answer:
My Dear,
Thanks for sending your query to us.
This is conjunctivitis and ofloxacin eye drop should have been fine.As it has not responded,mosi eye drop or moxicip eye drop 3 to 4 times a day as well as zoxan eye ointment at bed time should give relief.Look for the redness in the other eye as conjunctivitis can reach the other easily.Wipe the eye with wet cotton in the morning to maintain proper hygiene.
Do get back to me in case of any further query in this regard.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. N. K. Misra 11 minutes later
thank you very much for your answer. can we use mosi eye drop and zoxan eye ointment both? Also in how many days she will be OK? it's already 3 days. I am bit worried now as it is case of her eye.
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Conjunctivitis

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for getting back to me.
Drops are meant to be used in day time and as the child sleeps in the night ,one application of ointment can give us a extended coverage.As we do not go for sensitivity tests for infection,we get a wider coverage by using two different antibiotics.
Ideally it should take 48 hours for results to be apparent.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy