• question-icon

What causes erectile dysfunction after radiation therapy for prostate cancer?

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I am 82 years old I have had prostate cancer and took 30 radiation treatments, also take a low mg blood pressure pill daily. My loving wife passed away 2 years ago I have erectile dysfunction is there any hope for me to get my manhood back so i can have sex?
Answered by Dr. Rudina Balliu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Here are some other options

Detailed Answer:
Hello There ! Thank you for asking HealthCareMagic.
I have gone through your concern.

Radiotherapy treatment against prostate cancer could be the reasson of your erectile dysfunction.

There are some other options that you can try besides Viagra:
-Intracavernous injection therapy ( intracavernous alprostadil) where medication is injected into the penis before intercorse.
-Using vacuum constriction device to draw blood into the penis to cause an erection.
--Penile prosthesis / implants.
Other things that need to be considered for a good result are : psychologic status ( psychosexual therapy)- it is important not to feel scared/unsecure and nervous, blood pressure medication ( beta blockers group of drug, douretics ..) may contribute in your dysfunction.

To try these other options you need to talk with a doctor ( Urologist ), together you will discuss about the options and start the treatment plan.

Hope i have answered your question.
Take Care !
Dr Balliu

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Rudina Balliu