What causes episodes of vibration in arms and lower body?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 30 Aug 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: I am having episodes that feel like almost vibration like feelings in my arms and lower body electrical shocks
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Read below

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

The symptoms you describe ca be due to several causes. In terms of neurological conditions one possibility would be what is called Lhermitte's sign, an electrical sensation involving the limbs but usually also the spine and often triggered by bending the head. Can be due to involvements of posterior cervical cord from causes such as vitamin B12 deficiency, compression from disc bulges or arthritic changes.

Other causes would be mainly metabolic such as electrolyte alterations, thyroid or parathyroid hormone abnormalities, hormonal fluctuations after menopause etc.

At times everything may result normal and anxiety may be considered as another possibility.

So I would advise first some routine blood tests to screen for metabolic causes, such as blood count, liver and kidney function, electrolyte panel, thyroid function, vitamin B12 level. Afterwards depending on results and presence of indicators of neck issues (symptoms appear when bending the neck, neck pain etc) MRI may or not be considered.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.