What causes elevated gadolinium levels?

Dr. Hardik Sanghvi

Hematologist

Posted on Mon, 23 Jul 2018 in Blood Disorders
Question: I have been very sick. I had heavy metal testing done. Gadolinium is elevated 1.608
(norm <0.019) Is this common for people to have this so elevated? What should I do? Just how elevated is this?
Answered by Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It can be seen after contrast MRI.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, dear
I have gone through your question. I can understand your concern.

Gadolinium is a heavy metal. Normally it is almost non detectable in human or its level is very very low.

Many times we use gadolinium contrast MRI study. It increase the contrast image in MRI.
Few people experience symptoms of gadolinium toxicity shortly after MRI.

Few many have long term effect of gadolinium.

It works like calcium in body. So it affect calcium dependent process.

Currently there is no any definite treatment. chelation is the only treatment. It helps to excretes gadolinium from body.

Your symptoms may be due to gadolinium deposition. You should go for chelation treatment and repeat the gadolinium level after that.

Hope I have answered your question. If you have any doubts then feel free to ask me. I will be happy to answer. Thanks for using health care magic. Wish you a very good health.
Follow up: Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 45 minutes later
I'm trying to understand just how toxic my body is. How many times am over the limit?
Answered by Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 25 hours later
Brief Answer:
Generally gadolinium level is less then 0.5ng/ml

Detailed Answer:
Hi, dear
I have gone through your question.I can understand your concern.

Normal gadolinium level is less then 0.5ng/ml. You have not mentioned unit of your level. According to your normal range it is high. You developed symptoms also like brain fog. So you need treatment.

Thanks for using health care magic.
Wish you a very good health.