What causes dryness in mouth, vagina and bowels while on Topiramate?
Dry mouth from medication
Thank you for contacting HCM with your health care concerns
I am sorry to hear that your topiramate is working well but the side effects have been difficult. The best thing as you have already alluded to is staying hydrated. Drink lots and lots of fluids to the point that your urine is clear in color. To help offset the metallic taste and dry mouth I usually recommend patient ti use Biotene. Biotene is a mouthwash or mouth moisturizer. It will help stop the dryness and allow for better taste and help with hydration.
To help with the dry stools using a fiber laxative will help maintain stool form and prevent them from drying out. You can use as much laxative as you need to give soft formed stools. You can't overdose on a fiber laxative,
1. drink fluids constantly until urine clear in color
2. Use biotene to help dry mouth
3. Fiber laxative until stools soft and easy to pass.
I hope I answered your question. Please contact us again if you have any additional questions
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes sticky bowels
- What causes dryness and itching in the vagina
- What is the cause of loose bowel
- What causes dryness and itching on the swollen vagina lips
- What causes air in bowels
- What causes bowel movement while urinating
- What causes bowel spasms
- What causes a lazy bowel
- What causes calcified bowel
- What is the cause of memory issues when on topiramate