Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
180 Doctors are Online

What causes chronic back pain in an elderly person?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10683 Questions
I m looking for back pain relief for my elderly mother. Many pain specialists and others have tried to find the cause over the last 30 years and have come up empty. Living in an independent living apartment, with in-house clinic, she was recently on Tramadol, 300mg time release at night and was taking as much as 200mg self medicated during the day along with other pain and anxiety drugs. She became addicted, was stone all the time, refused to eat or drink, hospitalized with kidney damage, etc. She now lives with me and is off the tramadol I am searching for pain relief that is less addictive and will not just put her in an unconscious state.
Tue, 29 May 2018 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Oral muscle relaxants can help.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query.
The back pain at her age can be due to spondylottic changes in her spine. This can be relieved with hot compress and oral muscle relaxants in addition to using an L-S contour belt for proper support to the back muscles.
You can get proper muscle relaxants prescribed form an orthopedician or consider getting epidural injections for her after consulting an orthopedician.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor