What causes chronic back pain in an elderly person?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 29 May 2018 in Back Pain
Question: I m looking for back pain relief for my elderly mother. Many pain specialists and others have tried to find the cause over the last 30 years and have come up empty. Living in an independent living apartment, with in-house clinic, she was recently on Tramadol, 300mg time release at night and was taking as much as 200mg self medicated during the day along with other pain and anxiety drugs. She became addicted, was stone all the time, refused to eat or drink, hospitalized with kidney damage, etc. She now lives with me and is off the tramadol I am searching for pain relief that is less addictive and will not just put her in an unconscious state.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Oral muscle relaxants can help.

Detailed Answer:
The back pain at her age can be due to spondylottic changes in her spine. This can be relieved with hot compress and oral muscle relaxants in addition to using an L-S contour belt for proper support to the back muscles.
You can get proper muscle relaxants prescribed form an orthopedician or consider getting epidural injections for her after consulting an orthopedician.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal