What causes chills, runny nose, sneezing and postnasal drip?

Posted on Mon, 24 Aug 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My problems have occured almost 4 years. but it has affected me very bad for 6 months. i checked how my sytomps starts: when i feel cold, when i stay a room with air condiner, cold weather, cold drink or food. wind. when my sytomps starts if i prevent this trigger i ve counted now it stops until i meet again. but if the trigger continues ( like staying with air conditioning or the others) my sytomps are getting worse. my runny nose never stops, like water dropping and sneezing accompanies with it . at the same time i have postnasal drip, and also sometimes i have itchy nose inside it makes me sneeze.if i i continue to exposure like ac cold weather it makes me sneeze consequtively. it makes me fell very bad and tired. these symtomps ends until i go home lie down and keep myself hot, and sweat. after i feel good. it happens about one time in a week. if i dont care the cold it happens more. i went to doctor and made ct for my nose. thay say there is septum deviation.he ruled out sinuzit. some doctors said vasomotor rhinitis. they said even if i have surgery for septum deviation i could breathe better but imy syptomps doesnt end. my question is: is my problem allergic or infection every time i pass out. i had hemogram test and looks normal. to understand of the problem what kind of test shoul i do? and behind this syptomps can be important sickness i wasnt diagnosed yet?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Allergic rhinitis...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

I have gone through the query and understood your problem; I'll try my best to help you with this.

Almost all the symptoms described by you fits into the category of Allergic rhinitis. It varies from non allergic rhinitis (vasomotor rhintis) by the presence of symptoms such as itching in the nose, eyes and the throat.

The bitter truth is, there is no cure for allergy. Prevention of those things which induces allergy can get rid of the problems. Also, you would require medical measures such as steroid nasal spray and anti allergic medicines.

My suggestions to you are:
1. Avoid those situations which trigger allergy.
2. Try using steroid nasal spray such as fluticasone or momentasone.
3. Anti allergic medicine (antihistamine) such as fexofenadine, can help in reducing the episodes of allergy.
4. Try using saline nasal spray. Saline keeps the nasal mucosa moist and prevents nasal congestion.

Hope this answers your query; I'll be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist