• question-icon

What causes change in stool color after drinking lemon juice?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Does lemon juice effect st ool color
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need some further details regarding..

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM dear XXXX,

I've gone through your query and let me tell you at first that in an otherwise healthy adult, the color of stool is largely dependent on the color of food/drink they consume..

In general , lemon juice acts as a laxative to be specific (organic and freshly squeezed), but most of the times , the commercially available lemon juice always contains some amount of synthetic color (even if they advertise as natural, preservative free there's still some color always involved in disguise of brand coding)..

Since you haven't mentioned the color of stool, if you're noticing any light/yellowish color then it's probably due to the lemon juice only..

But at first let me know what was the color of the lemon juice and what was the stool color ?

Also is this the first time you've noticed it ?

Any past/present medical history ?

Any particular diet habit are you following ?

Any constipation lately ?

All of these matter largely in contributing the stool color , so let me know about them so that I can give you a clearer picture in this regard..

Best Wishes

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Arnab Banerjee 26 hours later
Replying to your questions. The color of the stool was light brown almost XXXXXXX Read somewhere this could indicate bile deficiency. Had blood work done 3 weeks ago and all was perfect. I feel great.
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
follow the advises.. maintain a healthy lifestyle..

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back dear,

Thanks for following up,

Now light brown color stool has nothing to do with lemon juice .. also in absence of any significant medical illness , this hardly signifies anything..

Try to maintain a healthy lifestyle by keeping a well balanced diet as well as wel hydration status..

Light brown color can be dependent on the type of foods you consume lately (like I've already mentioned that in an otherwise healthy adult, the color of stool is largely dependent on the color & type of food/drink they consume)..

so try to narrow it down at first. is there any change in the food habits lately , any constipation ?

Since you've mentioned that all of your blood work done 3 weeks ago (if you feel like , you can at least mention the list of blood works and their results so that I can opine a bit more clearer and assess in details), came perfect, then I don't think you need to be worrying at all..

Bile deficiency needs a proper clinical evaluation as well as detailed history along with thorough lab investigations , also it's quite unlikely that in an otherwise healthy adult (which you are I suppose) there can be any bile deficiency ..

Now articles are always filled with information and it's important what to choose and how to correlate with their significance..

Also there are fair chances that a person's stool came out with 10 different colors in a month or so, and can be found absolutely healthy irrespective of them (even though according to those colors there can be several serious deficiencies and disorders)..

So just relax.

Take Care
Kind Regards

Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist