What causes bumps on the tongue when diagnosed with viral infection?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Sun, 3 Jun 2018 in Infections
Question: Hi,

Three days ago at the Dr. (symptoms 5 days ago) I was diagnosed with a viral infection(right nose swollen and right nostril has a small red bump near the opening) that the Dr. Said might go away on its own. I also felt neck was tight, for this doc told me to gargle salt water.

Dr. checked my mouth, ear and nose.

The nose is almost normal size, the red bump is gone. Throat is fine as well. For about 2 days.

But yesterday, after eating spicy food my lower lip is red an when I looked closer it might have some inner bumps, I can't feel any but if I fold it together it looks like there are bumps. Please see pic.

It's also my first time in a few days to go out in extreme cold weather.

Its still red is today, I have no complains other than its red.

Looking closer my tounge also has bumps, but small outer. Please see picture. And part of it looks ripped. Please see a different picture of the tounge.

I'm not sure what my tounge looked before.

The ripped part has me worried. Is it normal for tounge to have this? Is it because of the viral infection?

What should be my next steps, if any.

Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Healing would set in with no need of further medications!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks so much for this query.

I have reviewed your information fully and the attached images. This is consistent with a viral infection and you need no antibiotics for complete healing. Time is the only limiting factor and there is no need to be worried any further about this unless something else comes up.

I wish you well and await your updates. If you have any further worries, feel free to follow up with me.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 32 minutes later
Thank you, I'm so relieved right now.

(1)Do you mind me asking what I can do to speed up the process or improve my immunity in general.

At the moment I'm eating simple food like noodles then greek yogurt, and vitamin c tablets.

(2)Should I continue to gargle salt water as my throat is not bothering me anymore? Is there a negative to gargling salt water when you don't feel the symptom or in my current condition?

(3)Can I use the same method, salt, water for my mouth and nose, somehow?

(4)Lastly, does this look like it's contagious? I understand viral infection like Flu is, but this doesn't feel like a flu, I don't cough, no runny nose, etc. Other than fatigue that comes and go, I feel ok.

Best regards and a Happy New Year, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
Happy New Year to you, too!

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

1. Eating healthy and balanced meal, exercising regularly and staying level headed are the best kept secrets of good health and strong immunity. I strongly encourage you to exercise these often.

2. There is no point in continuing. There is no harm either.

3. Yes, salt water is normal saline and it's used for cleansing. There is no harm in doing so.

4. This is minimally contagious. No special measures for infection prevention should be employed for this.

I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me as you please. Happy New Year!