What causes brown discharge if periods are late by six days?

Question
I am 4 days late for my period. 6 days prior to being due I had a brown discharge only when I wiped after using the toilet. This s lasted for 5 days. Not sure what if I class this as my period. I have taken hpt with negative result. Not sure where to go from here. I have never had issues with my period before.
Mon, 23 Apr 2018 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be hormonal disturbance.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The mild brown discharge that you had cannot be called a period. The delay in periods with a negative pregnancy test can be due to a hormonal disturbance. Having hormonal pills after consulting your gynecologist will help in having a withdrawal bleeding.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal