What causes blood in stool, thin stools and anal itching?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 9 Aug 2019 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hello.
I am 26 years old male.
246lb and 5'9 tall.
One year agoo after eating lots of spicy foods i start having blood on the stool,i stop eating spicy foods and there was no more blood on the stool for one year,only in toilet paper little bit since i have hemrrhoids,last night i eat some Shawarma sandwich with salty,today when i use it the toilet there was little bit blood on first poop that cames out but the other poop didn't have a blood,i also when i walk my anus is very itchy.also i have a thin stool mostly all the time.
Im really scared i might have colon cancer.
I dont have a family history of colon cancer,in your exprience what this can be?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Colon cancer is rare at the age of 27

Detailed Answer:

You are most likely suffering from two different issues.
1) Hemorrhoid or anal fissure
2) Digestive problems due to food habits

The first test I would like you to do is a stool for an occult blood test or stool microscopy that will confirm the presence of blood with the stools.

As there is a family history of colon cancer I would recommend you to go for a colonoscopy to look for a polyp or any other pathology with it a proctoscopy examination of the rectum has to be done by treating doctor to look for the degree of hemorrhoid anal fissures etc.

1) Start taking Syp. Lactulose. It is one of the most frequently used laxatives, tolerated very well by patients in long terms with minimal side effects. Using laxative would prevent straining while defecating.
2) Secondly, start using Preparation H (a combination containing contains Calcium Dobesilate, Hydrocortisone, Lignocaine, and Zinc) locally over the hemorrhoids.
3) Thirdly, request your gastroenterologist to prescribe you with oral Calcium Dobesilate-Doxium therapy. Trials have shown that 3-month therapy can cause shrinkage of Hemorrhoids in almost 60% cases. It was demonstrated that Calcium dobesilate decreased capillary permeability, inhibited platelet aggregation and improved blood viscosity; thus resulting in the reduction of tissue edema.
4) Add Metamucil/Fybrogel or a probiotic to your regimen.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Ramesh Kumar, Gastroenterologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng