question-icon

What causes bleeding after 5 days post unprotected sex?

Posted on Thu, 6 Mar 2014
Question: I had unprotected sex with my boyfriend 9 days ago, 5 days later I had bleeding for 2 days then stopped.. 3 days later (today) I had bleeding again now stopped. I am worried as my period was not due to start for another 2 weeks my periods usually last for 5-6days, I don't know what is wrong
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar (44 minutes later)
Brief Answer: Rule out early pregnancy Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Thanks for the query. Bleeding and unprotected sex bring the issue of a possible early pregnancy. 3 weeks after the date of unprotected sex, if there was conception, the pregnancy hormone should be able to be detected in blood or urine; that could be an option about how to proceed. Sometimes, there are very early miscarriages that present as a "unusually light" period, and pregnancy needs to be ruled out. Yours truly, Dr Brenes-Salazar
Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar

Cardiologist