What causes abdominal pain and cramping after appendectomy?

Dr. T Shobha Deepak

Posted on Wed, 9 Sep 2015 in General Health
Question: I am 54 years old and 2 years ago had my appendix removed, I have been having occasional twisting and cramping on my right side since having them removed. I can actually see the knots as if there were a baby moving but thats not possible. When this happens it is extremely painful and lasts for several minutes up to a couple hours What might cause this
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cause likely to be due to adhesions

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day

Dear Ms

Any abdominal surgery done can cause adhesions between content of intestine, which is more likely if its open surgery. Your symptoms are likely to be due to adhesions causing partial blockage of intestine leading to pain and increased peristaltic activity which usually feels like moving knots.

If there is no associated vomiting and absence of distension of abdomen then there is no cause for concern. I would suggest you the following

1. Plenty of oral fluids

2. High fibre diet

3. Short term use of oral laxatives will be helpful

Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you.

Take Care

Best Regards
Dr Shobha Deepak
MBBS,MD