question-icon

What causes a sudden cramp in the foot and extreme pain even upon slight movement?

Posted on Wed, 1 Aug 2018
Question: My foot suddenly started cramping. Not just the bottom but my entire foot. It is excruciating and heat and massage haven’t helped. I cannot even wiggle by toes without extreme pain.
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal (32 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
possibility of a neuritis.

Detailed Answer:
hi,
there is a possibility of acute onset , arthritis called gout, in case there is swelling along with the pain.
the other possibility is a neuropathy affecting the foot which can cause the cramping.
I think you should probabbaly do a blood workup and see a physician because examination of the foot is a must to see whether it is neuropathic, arthritic or vascular.
in the meanwhile paracetamol can be taken for some relief.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Divya Agarwal

Rheumatologist