What causes a pinching like sensation above the buttock?

Dr. Ornela Ademovi

Posted on Mon, 5 Nov 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hello i am a 36 yearold female . I am having chronic pinching like pain in my right side above my right buttocks. Its a 4 on a scale of 1-10 but its certainly present and its really starting to bother me. i thought it could be dehydration but I am hydrating and in still there unabated. I also feel lethargic and weaker than normal
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Pinched nerve

Detailed Answer:

It would be ideal to have a physical examination done in order to get a better idea of the pain you are referring.

However, from your description I suspect you have a pinched nerve, also called a radiculopathy and is caused by a compression or irritation of a nerve where it branches out from the spine.

The pain usually radiates down the path of that nerve and also causes muscle weakness and/or numbness.

You would need a neurological examination and ideally an MRI for further examination and diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Ornela Ademovi, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T