What causes a painful lump on the scalp?

Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 21 Sep 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I found this place on my scalp above my left ear, my hair is normally shave din that area, I last got my hair cut 3 weeks ago I didn't notice it then, I noticed it about a week ago, it hurts a little, but I thought it was a boil or an ingrown hair and tried to pop it it does seem like it has a head, I went to urgent care; urgent care thought it might be cancerous or precancerous. I have a dermatology appointment but it is a little ways off--what do you think?

Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
looks like fibroma

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to HCM.

It looks to me like fibroma and this is not cancerous and rarely precancerous. However, it should be surgically removed and sent to histopathological analysis since it may create problems during hair cut and may grow in future.

But as I said, I don't see some concerning signs.
Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee