question-icon

What causes a large white lump on the back of the throat?

Posted on Fri, 27 Jul 2018
Question: I have noticed this large white lump on the back of my throat and it is worrying me. I am not currently in a place where I can see a doctor for quite some time and was wondering what you thibk it might be. I am worried it could be something cancerous. I have attached some photos for you to see
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Sore throat

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HealthcareMagic and thanks for putting up the query
I have seen the pictures. It seems to be a hypertrophy of posterior pharyngeal bands which is usually caused by continuous post nasal drip.
Please tell me do you have any history of frequent nasal or throat infection?
Any history of smoking or tobacco use?
Follow up with the required information so that I can suggest you better.
Any further questions are always welcome.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist