• question-icon

    What causes a hard painful swollen area at the end of the fingernail?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have some sort of infection at the end of my finger next to the fingernail. It is a hard painful swollen area that cracks and opens every few days. I have had it for over a year.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Acute on chronic paronychia i.e infection of nail fold

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

i am dr.kakkar(dermatologist). I have gone through your query and i have reviewed the images.
I can see swelling of nail lateral fold and broken skin with discharge.
It is acute on chronic paronychia i.e secondary bacterial infection superimposed over underlying candidal paronychia.
The infection is more common in those involved in household work and food handlers, requiring frequent and long contact with water.
I suggest an oral antibiotic e.g amoxicilin 500mg or cephalexin 500mg, thrice daily for a week. Topically you may use an antibacterial ointment e.g neosporin ointment. You may also take an oral anti-inflammatory e.g ibuprofen for symptomatic relief from pain and swelling.
This would resolve acute pain and secondary bacterial infection.
Thereafter you must take an oral antifungal e.g fluconazole 150mg once a week for a few months (3-6 months).

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Kakkar S.


Practicing since :2002

Answered : 8973 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Oral antifungal

doctor1 MD

Hello doc my mother has some skin problem

doctor1 MD

any idea what these white marks are

doctor1 MD

Having a terrible yeast infection….used the Monistate with cortisone and it is burning awful and can't get any relief! is there anything else i can...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

152 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Kakkar S.
  • Q - Suggest treatment for thinning of skin

  • Q - Is boil inside nose folliculitis a cause for concern?

  • Q - What casues allergic skin rash?

  • Q - How to diagnose herepes type 2?

  • Q - What causes white pimples in vagina?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for headache, acne and weight gain

  • Q - Suggest treatment for dandruff and red spot on scalp

  • Q - What causes non itchy eruption on penis?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for itching acne on hand

  • Q - Suggest treatment for itching sensation all over body