What causes a black dot near the tonsil inside the mouth?

ENT Specialist
Question
Just discovered a tiny black spot on the upper arch between my back teeth and tonsil. I'm quite alarmed and of course worry about cancer. I have a picture I can upload.

It looks as if someone took a marker or black pen and put a dot there. Not sure how long it's been there, but less than a week. A few weeks ago I had a manometry test and other diagnostic tests

Also, not particularly sore, but fighting a cold
Fri, 25 May 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Oral mole

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HealthcareMagic and thanks for putting up the query.
The black lesion is a mucosal mole and an incidental finding. these can be usually present and are not symptomatic.
Any change in the size or structure or colour of the lesions must be investigated as it may be a sign of malignant change.
Right now there doesn't seem to be anything alarming. the lesion looks to be benign only.
Any further questions are always welcome.
Thanks and regards

Follow-up: What causes a black dot near the tonsil inside the mouth? 24 minutes later
That is a relief...however the spot appeared very quickly. I check my throat fairly regularly and I think it just appeared within the past few days. Is that typical of a mucosal mole as well? Should I expect it to go away on its own, or should I seek care? Ironically, I saw an ENT a few weeks back due to Hypertrophic tongue papillae which is still bothering me as well. I'm in the diagnostic process for autoimmune disease having just been diagnosed with lupus. Not a good year! I thank you for your help and further answers.

Will my follow-up question be answered? It is a holiday weekend here and I would appreciate the reassurance. The spot is still there this morning, but isn't as black - it's more red now. No larger, however. Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 42 hours later
Brief Answer:
Oral lesion

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the information.
As you said that the lesion appeared recently only and the colour is too getting lighter. it is probably a small hematoma caused by some trauma.
A mole doesn't appear like that and are usually since birth. The colour change is indicative of the same .
I would advise you to wait for at least a week and click another picture and send me again. Nothing else than a follow up is needed at the moment.
It definitely doesn't seem to be a malignancy.
Thanks and regards