Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

131 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What can cause pain under right rib cage?

Answered by
Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Practicing since :2002

Answered : 1209 Questions

Posted on Thu, 7 Jun 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have a pain under my right rib cage that is now painful on my back as well. It's sore. Feels like a tear that is now swollen.
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question.
I have gone through your medical history in detail.

I hope you have not suffered from any trauma in the right ribcage region recently.

If there was a trauma,then underlying hematoma or bony/soft tissue injury can cause such kind of pain.
An Xray of chest will help to rule out any bony injury.

Non traumatic causes include intercostal neuritis,soft tissue inflammation or referred pain from liver or gall bladder related issues.

I would suggest you to take anti inflammatory tablets like ibuprofen,paracetamol or tramadol.Apply local analgesic gel followed by hot fomentation.

If the pain does not subside within 3 days,then you should get a ultrasound / CT scan of the abdomen done to confirm the diagnosis and consult a nearby doctor.

I hope the answer was useful to you.

Feel free to ask me any follow up queries that you may have.

Thank you.
Kind regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Mahaveer Patil 15 hours later
I have had my gallbladder removed. Could it be scar tissue? I also know that I have two fibroids in my uterus. Trying to set up surgery w new physician as I got a new carrier. I have had the pain on and off for a few months now. It just got more intense recently. Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
seems to be related to gall bladder removal.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

Yes,this can be related to gall bladder removal surgery.
Underlying scar or remnant infection/inflammation might be responsible for the pain.

HRCT abdomen will be helpful to confirm the diagnosis.

Uterine fibroids do not seem to be related to this pain though.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on