What can cause knee pain without injury?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I have recent sudden onset of pain in right knee left front for 4 days, chronic off and on pain when walking, standing lying down, some help from acetaminophen, no injury, should I wait for improvement or see orthopedist, age 74 female 164lb sedentary, not like pain when climbing not from the knee cap
Tue, 12 Jun 2018 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Osteoporosis

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

Thanks for the query

I have read your query and understood your problem.

You appear to be at high risk from weakness of bones or Osteoporosis. This is compounded by the fact that you were on steroids too.

I would advise you to get Xray of the painful knee and soak a DEXA Scan to look for Osteoporosis.

A Serum Vitamin D will also be helpful to look for Vitamin D deficiency. Eat healthy. Keep well hydrated. Do take Calcium and Vitamin D supplements.

Apply hot packs to the painful regions. Avoid excessive knee bending.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr.Aashish Raghu