question-icon

What can I do to ease severe pain associated with a kidney stone?

Posted on Thu, 6 Sep 2018
Question: i have kidney stone what can i do ease pain hurt real bad on 8 scale
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam (20 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Motrin and increase water intake.

Detailed Answer:

The stone would have stuck at a narrow point in the ureter causing the pain. What is the size of the stone? If it is less than 10 mm then you can increase the water consumption, immediately take 2 liters water and try gushing it out of the narrow point with the increased flow of urine.

Yes, you can take NSAIDs like MOTRIN double dose (up to 600 mg) which really help ease the pain.

Hope this is clear.

Dr. Suma Parinam, General & Family Physician
Dr. V. N. S. Parinam