What are the symptoms of low thyroid function?

Endocrinologist
Question
I seem to have many of the symptoms of low thyroid but my blood work (about a year ago) showed "normal" thyroid, included T3/T4 I think. My hair is thin and brittle, my skin is very, very dry, constipation has been a problem, I have a hard time falling asleep/staying asleep. I've gained weight although I haven't really been eating differently plus I am tired and feel kind of "out of it".

Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
About your symptoms;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I have gone carefully through your concern.

You are right, the symptoms you described are typically suggestive for under active thyroid and in these cases to rule out the diagnosis, TSH, Ft3 and ft4 are not enough.

To focus on optimal hormone balance, consider measuring RT3 to be essential in the diagnosis and management of an underactive thyroid.

I would suggest also to check VitD level.
Often Vit D insufficiency can cause symptoms like those of under active thyroid.

Please discuss with your treating physician about the above tests.

Hope the information will help. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta