What are the signs and symptoms of a gallbladder stone attack?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 30 May 2018 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Husband is showing symptoms of gall stones...pain in stomach just below rib cage, pain on lower right side, extreme pain between shoulder blades. Can he take a pain pill to get through the night till he can see a doctor in the morning?
He just vomited...has a low fever of 97.7
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Better to take to ER now as explained.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Noted the history about your husband and understood your concerns.
Since he has vomited, it may not be possible to retain the medicines.
Yet you can give him an anti-spasmodic, a PPI like Omeprazole or Pantoprazole and Domperidone if you have these. Give an Antacid too.
If the vomiting continues he may have to go to ER. Gall bladder pain is usually situated just below the right rib cage and can be referred to the right shoulder.
Pain in the lower right side can be due to colitis or so.
The Extreme pain in between shoulder blades can be due to esophagitis or even of cardiac origin hence an urgent EKG should be done and further cardiac evaluation if needed.
Urgent ultrasonography will tell us about the gallstones or gallbladder inflammation.

I hope this answers your query with explanation and helps to get a correct diagnosis and management asap.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 17 minutes later
The only meds I have on hand is Hydroco 325 mg.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Helps for pain alone

Detailed Answer:
Hydroco 325 can be given if he has taken this medicine in past without any problems. This will help only for the pain.