What are the side effects of Mifegest?

Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: I am 39days pregnant and want to abortion to take mifegest, if it is safe and its side efect or other problems?
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
MTP KIT

Detailed Answer:
Hello mam,
thanks for trusting health care magic.

Firstly I would like to suggest you that it is not safe to take the MTP pill yourself without consulting a gynecologist.
At most places it is not an over the counter drug and is available only on prescription but if you already have prescription and procured the kit then it has a specific pattern of intake
Kit consists of one large tablet to be taken at once and then after 48 hours of that take the rest of the tablets In kit which are four in number.
After taking full kit, abortion occurs anytime between 6 hours to 5 days.
But in few patients there can be an incomplete abortion or excessive bleeding per vaginum and in that case you have to visit a gynecologist.

I hope I have answered your question but in case you have other questions I will be happy to help.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 3 days later
I have taken mtp pill kit and started bleeding after next day bleeding gradually decreases. please reply it is abnormal/ normal abortion and how i know its successfully cleared.
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Signs explained

Detailed Answer:
Sure method of confirmation is by ultrasound after 1 week but usually after passage of complete products pain and bleeding decreases which is an indirect indication of completion.
But in case pain and bleeding persists for more than a week then an ultrasound is a must.