What are the side effects of Forteo?

Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have osteoporosis and have taken many prescription medications for this over the last 15 years (I am 69). My doctor is now suggesting Forteo because my bone density scores continue to show decreasing bone density. I have read that this drug had limited trials and that long term side effects are unknown. I would like a second opinion on the risks/benefits of this medication.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Forteo is safe

Detailed Answer:
I have studied your case and I have given Forteo to many of my patients. It is safe drug and it is not experimental. It is very good drug for osteoporosis. So it can be used in your case also. You have not mentioned if you had any allergic reaction in past or any cancer(If Any). If there is no such problem then it is safe to take . If you want you can tell me your drug history and medical history in detail.

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 2 hours later
Thank you for your response. I have had a thyroidectomy (no cancer) in 2007 and take synthroid 125mcg and I have had a lumpectomy for breast cancer (stage 0) in 2012 and take arimidex 1mg. I do not take any other prescription medications. I have had an allergic reaction (tongue swelling of unknown cause), twice in the last 5 years and I carry an Epi pen on the recommendation of my allergist.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can take Fortio but keep allergic tablet ready

Detailed Answer:
I have studied your case. You can take Fortio but as you said that you have allergy to some medication so first just take test dose and If it is not causing allergic reaction then you can take increase dose. Also keep your Epi Pen ready in case of allergic problem. if there is no reaction in first three days then there will not be any such reaction in future.
thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj