What are the risks of surgery for congenital heart disease?

Question
Iam XXXXXXX from XXXXXXX New girl baby was born last week with congential heart disease Double inlet Left ventricle (Univentricle) with L-malposition of great arteries. This was earlier diagonised when the baby was in uterous (9 months). Doctor said baby has to undergo three surgery first planned in 20 th day of baby. In this session they will do PA banding and PDA shunt closing. Second planned at 5th month where one of the vein is disconnected and connected to lungs and third or final planned on 5th year where the final vien to heart is disconnected and connected to lungs. Will there be any side affect for my baby due to this surgery. I know my baby cannot be compared with normal baby. But little worried about endo cardio diseases or other organs related issues after surgery.
Posted Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Congenital Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
benefit outweighs the risk.

Detailed Answer:
Looking at your baby's echo report, surgery is unavoidable so you can not avoid this.
In the case where benefit outweighs the risk you should go for the necessary treatment as advised by the treting doctor.
Risk is associated with all the invasive procedure but the chances of some untoword events are rare.
You have to be sure that baby is gaining good weight, haemoglobin is at optimal level so that surgery will not bw delayed.
Feel free to ask further query.
Rsgards.