question-icon

What are the repercussions of accidental ingestion of feces by a 1-year-old?

Posted on Wed, 12 Dec 2018
Question: My one year old baby wiped stool (feces that had remained on the toilet bowl after flushing from at least 10 hours ago) off the toilet bowl on to his fingers and put his hands in his mouth. I don't know if he swallowed it or not, any how much it was. what should I do?
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani (23 minutes later)
Brief Answer:

Need not panic just be on look out for signs of dehydration and diarrhea.

Detailed Answer:

Hello!

You need not do anything Active like a medication. Just lookout for diarrhea, vomiting and signs of dehydration.

Unless the kid's having low urine output or very dull or excessively sleepy or blood in motion or green bilious vomiting...you need not worry.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani
Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology