What are the relapsing possibilites of acute lymphoblastic leukemia?

Dr. Hardik Sanghvi

Hematologist

Posted on Thu, 28 Apr 2016 in Cancer
Question: one of my collegue suffered from acute lymphoblastic leukemia in 2006.after undergoing treatment in XXXXXXX she is reported to achieve remission.I just want to know the possibilites of relapse if any and possiblites of any treatment related side effects in her case.
Answered by Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It depends on risk factors and treatment.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, dear
I have gone through your question. I can understand your concern.
80 to 90% of adult achieve remission but out of them one third to two third of patients get relapse of ALL depending on risk factors.

Side effects of treatment depends on regimen and drugs used in treatment. So please give me details about her treatment regimen so yhat I can help you further.
Hope I have answered your question, if you have doubt then I will be happy to answer. Thanks for using health care magic. Wish you a very good health.
Follow up: Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 44 hours later
My college was reported as having ALL in 2005,she had undergone chemotherapy in TATA Memorial Hospital in XXXXXXX for nine months and was reported disease free in the last part of 2006.now she is free of any kind of medication and having a normal life including manstration cycle. just want to know the possibiltes of relapse in her case . one more thing. just want to know whether she can conceive or have babies ofr not
Answered by Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
She can expect normal life and of course she can get conceived.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, dear
She was treated before in 2006 so there is very long period of 10 years passed away. Majority of relapse occur in first 5 year after treatment. So chances of relapse in her case is very rare. She can expect normal life. Her life expectancy is normal.

She can conceived. There is no harm in that. But she took chemotherapy so rare chances of chemotherapy related damage to her organs is there. SO there is rare chance of foetal abnormality and it should be kept in mind.

Otherwise there is no problem. She can conceive.

Hope I have answered your question. If you have any doubts then feel free to ask me. I will be happy to answer. Thanks for using health care magic. Wish you a very good health.
Follow up: Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 10 hours later
WHAT ARE THE CHANCES OF RELAPSE AFTER 10 YEARS AND POSSIBILITES OF SECOND TRAETMENT RELATED ISUES?

Answered by Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Chances of relapse after 10 year is almost nil.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, dear
Welcome back to HCM. I can understand your concern.

Chances of relapse after 10 year is almost negligible. It can considered as cured.

Treatment related secondary myeloid leukemia can occur in few cases (less then 5%). So don't worry about that. Other treatment related issue are not common after these many years. So don't worry much about that. She can live normal life with normal life expectancy.