What are the possible side effects of increasing Lexapro dose?

Psychiatrist
Question
Since i have back some obsessive ideas, my psychiatrist decided to up my lexapro dosage from 2.5 mg to 5 mg. I am a poor metabolizer for cyp2c19 and mild for cyp2d6. How long lexapro 5mg can take to work (one week or more?) since i am taking 2.5 mg for many years an lexapro for 8 years?
Posted Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Eating Disorders

Answered by Dr. Vipul Prajapati 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
consult psychiatrst

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,

Thank you for your query..

As you are on Escitalopram 2.5mg since 8 years so now there is no such major period to get effect for increased dose. escitalopram 5mg can take work from first day but full effect we can see with in 1 to 2 week.
your psychiatrist increased dose due to obsessive features and you feel relieve from this features with in 1 to 2 weeks.
so not to worry about duration by which the drug shows its effect even though you are poor metabolizer for cyp2c19 and cyp2d6 as you are already on that molecule since 8 years.

discuss with your treating psychiatrist.

Awaiting your response.

Thank you

Follow-up: What are the possible side effects of increasing Lexapro dose? 27 minutes later
Dr. Prajapati,
Thank you for your answer. I just would like to make another question: since i am on lexapro for a long time, will i feel severe side effects during 1 to 2 weeks because of the new dosage (from 2.5.mg to 5mg), or not so severe?
Thanks beforehand, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Vipul Prajapati 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
consult psychiatrist

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,

Not to worry about side effects.
As you are on escitalopram since a long time and with increased dose you are not having any major side effects.
some people might feel sedation but not all so we can not say you have such side effects.
with 5 mg escitalopram majority of people not having any side effects.

Discuss with your doctor if any effect you have.

Thank you