What are the long term effects of accidental electrocution?
least likely to occur.
Thanks for your query.
Read and understood your concerns.
To recapitulate: your husband got electrocuted 3 years ago - entry top of head - exit through the feet - was treated with fluids - treated the burns - sent home after a couple of days > this indicates the recovery was fast and nice.
His Nurse-Aunt says there could be problems about 10 years after.
The electrocution causes the following types of problems
- The immediate problems on electric current flowing in the form of death-on-spot, which your husband survived.
- The problems with the entry and exist wounds, which I feel were well healed. If any problem occurs with the scar will be usually within 9 months ans it is already 3 years. If there is no problem at the wounds, nothing will occur now.
- The problems with the muscles through which the current flows: immediate death of the muscles, and needs excision. Since this was not needed this too is ruled out. If the muscles have to have any problems, they would develop within 3 weeks of electrocution and manifest up to maximum 9 months in the form of fibrosis, contractures and so on. If nothing of that sort is present, nothing to worry about this part too.
- Then there can be sequel of neurological or psychological consequences in a few number of patients.
May I please know if you husband have any symptoms related or unrelated to the electrocution at the moment.
It is highly unlikely that anyone to develop some problem after 10 years of electrocution.
I have tried to tell you the basics, very simple rules of electrocution and its effects. I hope you liked these, Please feel free to ask further relevant queries if you need to or if you feel that there is a gap-of-communications.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What are the long term effects of a deviated septum
- What is long term side effects using ciplactin
- What are the long term effects of simethicone
- What are effects of mild electrocution
- What are the long term effects of suboxone
- What are the long term effects after a spinal tap
- What are the long term effects of endone
- What are the long term effects of crestor
- What are the long term effects of oxycontin
- What are the long term effects of hysterectomy