What are the chances of precancerous adenomatous polyp turning cancerous?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Thu, 2 Aug 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My husband has a hx of Barretts Esophagus. During his recent EGD he was found to have a precancerous adenomatous polyp in the second portion of his duodenum. What are the chances of this polyp turning into cancer? Also, it will be over 41/2 months before he can get another EGD to remove this polyp.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It can take years to become cancerous

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to HealthcareMagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what your husband had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, the exact percentage can't be predicted as it depends upon polyp size and larger polyps have increased frequency of getting cancerous. Over 90 percent of adenomatous polyps can become cancerous but the good thing is that they grow very slowly and may take years to transform into cancer.

If removed timely, then they tend to have a good prognosis. However, serial OGDs annually or as recommended by gastroenterologist should be done in future even after removal for further reassurance.

Wishing him a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query.
If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee